Survive. Move Forward. Thrive
The relationship between homelessness and incarceration is, all too often, cyclical: nationwide, about 15 percent of people in jail or prison report some history of homelessness, and anywhere from 25 to 50 percent of individuals in homeless shelters have a history of incarceration. Surviving and escaping homelessness is challenging in any context. But for people exiting prison, the challenges are only compounded: even absent of homelessness, individuals with criminal histories often struggle to find work, locate stable housing, access services and integrate into their surrounding communities.
The Re-Entry program empowers people on parole to overcome personal challenges, connect to resources, locate employment and secure housing.
In 2014, Colorado enacted House Bill 14-1355, establishing and designating funds to the Work and Gain Education & Employment Skills (WAGEES) project. WAGEES, a multi-pronged initiative designed to reduce recidivism rates among parolees, through expanded and targeted funding for community-based programs, increased cooperation between the Department of Corrections and increase cooperation between the Department community-based service providers Senate Bill 15-124, signed in 2015, directed additional resources to the project.
- HOW TO GET HELP
To qualify for the Re-Entry Program, you must:
- be on Adult Parole Supervision in Larimer County and considered by Department of Corrections (DOC) to be medium or high risk
- be referred by your DOC Community Re-Entry Specialist or your Community Parole Officer
- be motivated! While the Re-Entry Program can provide support, resources, and accountability; participant’s ultimate success must begin within themselves
- CONTACT INFO
- HOW WE CAN HELP
The program offers the opportunity for referred participants to access the following services and resources:
- Employment assistance
- Work clothing/tools
- Vocational training
- Substance Use Support
- Mentor Group
- Basic Needs Items
- Support Systems
- Family Reunification Support
- Housing Support/Retention
- Identification assistance
- Healthcare resource connections
- Mental Health resource connections