Survive. Move Forward. Thrive
Our mission is to ensure that the individuals we serve have bikes that are safe, reliable and well-maintained; and, as a result of that, that they can get where they need to be. The bike program is an important part of a broader continuum of services — at Homeless Gear and the Murphy Center — that helps people survive, move forward and (ultimately) escape homelessness.
How do I get help?
Most Fridays (May – October) at the Murphy Center for Hope (“Murphy Center”), a team of volunteer bike mechanics provides a free repair-and-maintenance clinic. The service is available to registered guests of the Murphy Center. Please ask the Front Desk for the Bike Team’s schedule.
- Sister Mary Alice Murphy Center for Hope
- 242 Conifer St, Fort Collins, CO 80524
- Most Fridays May – October.
How can I help?
Want to get involved in the bike program? Here’s how you can help:
- Volunteer as a mechanic. We can use help at all experience levels. This could be a great way to help others while learning bike mechanic skills.
- Volunteer to rebuild trailers. We will teach you how to re-purpose worn out child trailers into super sturdy cargo trailers. We will provide the materials.
- Volunteer to help with community outreach, grant writing, social media and communication.
- Donate your old bike. We will fix it up and distribute it or use it for parts depending on condition..
- Donate your old child trailer. We can always use these trailers for our project.
- Donate funds to support the program.
- Want to schedule the Bike Repair team?
Additional repair sessions can be scheduled (at no cost) throughout Larimer County at low-income neighborhoods, community events and fundraisers. If you are a service provider, business owner, member of a faith community or manager of a housing complex, neighborhood or HOA, contact the Bike Repair team to learn more about scheduling a free clinic at your location.
Many people who are homeless rely on bicycles as their primary mode of transportation. They use their bikes to get to work, to service providers and everywhere else.